Hemp has been harvested as a crop around the world for thousands of years. Due to a range of socio-political factors it's use in Western society was stifled during much of the 20th century however before this Hemp was a staple across much of the world.
As awareness of the enormous benefits that it has over it's counter-parts and the multitude of industries that it can be applied to spreads we have no doubt that this will change. Hemp is a natural, environmentally responsible crop and by supporting the Hemp industry you are contributing towards improving the health of the planet for future generations.
Why is Hemp such a valuable crop - both financially and environmentally?
- Hemp is naturally resistant to insects meaning there is no need for pesticides
- When planted densely, due to it's rapid growth it acts as a 'smother crop' so can be cultivated without toxic weed killers
- It improves soil quality relative to crops such as wheat or barley due to it's larger, deeper tap roots more effectively breaking down the soil
- It produces stronger fibre than cotton and more than 3 times as much per hectare whilst also requiring less water
- It can produce up to 4 times more pulp per hectare than wood chippings and can be harvested multiple times per year
- Hemp can play a valuable role as a raw material in an amazingly diverse range of industries including paper, textiles, a base for bodycare products, building materials, bio-fuels, plastics and as a food source
Whilst it is currently illegal to sell Hemp-based products for consumption in Australia elsewhere Hemp seeds and oils are utilised due to their astounding range of health benefits. Around 44% of hemp seed is comprised of edible oils, of which around 80% are Essential Fatty Acids (EFA's). Hemp seeds amino acid content is considered close to "complete" when compared to more common sources of proteins such as meat, milk, eggs and soy. Hemp protein contains all 21 known amino acids, including the 9 essential ones adult bodies cannot produce. One tablespoon of hemp oil per day contains enough linoleic acid and alpha-linolenic acid for a persons daily requirements for EFA's.
At Hemp-Life we truly believe that Hemp is an essential resource and it's continued increase in production is one of the few viable ways that we have of reversing unsustainable farming and forestry practices in a world in which demand is ever-expanding.
Some great Hemp resources can be found at the following links...
- Australian Hemp Foundation - "AHF brings together the very different needs of hemp farmers, hemp processors, hemp manufacturers, hemp associations and more in a united voice for the Australia Hemp Industry."
- Industrial Hemp Association of Queensland Inc - "We believe that representing the Industrial Hemp Industry in a professional, ethical and viable manner, will strengthen our farmer’s investment for value added opportunities and potentially create more career opportunities and employment prospects, within Australia and internationally."
- Industrial Hemp Association of NSW Inc - "The NSW IHA intends to reinstate industrial hemp to its proper place in commerce and agriculture."
- Industrial Hemp Association of Victoria - "The Industrial Hemp Association of Victoria (IHAV) is a non-profit organisation committed to representing growers, researchers, retailers and supporters. We are dedicated to education, industry development, and the accelerated expansion of the market for industrial hemp."
- Northern Rivers Hemp - "The primary aim of the hemp cooperative is to nurture the establishment of a hemp industry in the Northern Rivers of NSW that is based on principles of sustainability. The hemp industry can include amongst others, primary producers, processors, manufacturers, wholesalers and retailers."
- Hemp Farm Australia - "Learn about hemp production and its many applications at the Hemp Farm – Australia’s first and only public eco hemp farm tour where you get to try everything! This is Australia’s only Government authorized drug-free industrial hemp farm where you, your friends and family are invited to get a real Byron Bay experience. Learn how we grow hemp and turn it into useful fibre, food, fuel, paper, medicine and even a hemp house!"
- Australian Hemp Masonry Company - "Based in the Northern Rivers Region, NSW the Australian Hemp Masonry Company works with small to medium scale farmers to co-produce a durable, high quality, carbon neutral Hemp lime Masonry building material suitable for exterior and interior wall construction."
- Ecofibre Industries Operations - "Ecofibre Industries Operations Pty Ltd (EIO) is an Australian agricultural industry company, producing sustainable hemp fibre for national and export industry. Ecofibre Industries is Australia's leading hemp research, development and commercialisation company."